Sunday, April 20, 2014

Boston Strong: A View From Marathon Weekend http://ift.tt/1i47JrZ



Last year, I was lucky enough to be invited to run the Boston Marathon as a guest of Adidas. It was my first marathon, and a storied one at that, so I was more than a little nervous. But just about everything about the race put me at ease - the camaraderie on my runner-filled flight into Boston, the advice from Boston Marathon veterans that flowed freely in every conversation, the thousands of spectators lining the course and cheering us on. The tragic bombings at last year's race, however, turned my Boston Marathon experience into an incomplete one; I was still running when they went off and had to exit the course before finishing.


There were approximately 5,600 runners in the same boat; like me, they are back this year to finish their race, making this year's field of runners one of the biggest ever. The number of runners isn't the only difference - as you would expect, this year's pre-race events and commemorations, while celebratory, are also solemn and respectful, and security is a lot tighter now. I spent some time walking around the city along with some fellow POPSUGAR editors to take in the atmosphere; here's a view from Boston, from what we and other marathoners have experienced this weekend.


View Slideshow ›



from POPSUGAR Fitness http://ift.tt/1jrJgcQ

No comments:

Post a Comment